Monday, February 16, 2009

Barbecue Pull Pork

In a post a few weeks ago, I talked about pull pork that I made. Well there is no real recipe for it, but all I did was season a pork shoulder (pork butt) with salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder and brown sugar. You can season it with other things depending on what you like. After this, put the shoulder in the crock pot on and fill it a third of the way full with water. This pork will need to cook for hours, maybe ten at the least. You will know when it is done because it will easily fall off of the bone.

Once the meat cools, pull it apart or even chop it with a metal spatula. Remove any bones. To season my pull pork, i used salt, crushed red pepper flakes and apple cider vinegar. It is easiest to season the meat little by little to make sure it isnt over seasoned.

The apricot barbecue sauce was made by reducing the juices from the pork first until it is a demi-glace (reduces by half and thickens). Add apricot preserves to the reduction as well as cider vinegar to taste. If you would like a sweeter sauce, add honey rather than sugar.

Both the pork and barbecue sauce recipes can be adjusted depending on what you like....Thats the best thing about cooking, you are allowed to modify anything as well as experiment. Enjoy this recipe and until later, love, peace, and cupcakes!

2 comments:

  1. you won ! great job on your entries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like some good barbecue. I don't eat a lot of the pig, but it's damned good barbecued.

    During the month of June I challenged myself not to partake of any meat. It was a long and tortuous month, but I kept my word. To celebrate the end of the month I took a roadtrip to Memphis during the first week in June. Everyday I was there I ate someone's ribs.......man I was so stuffed when I left.

    There's nothing in this world as good as some good barbecue.

    ReplyDelete