Monday, February 2, 2009

Let me fill you in....

Well it has definitely been too long since my last post. I NEED to do better. School has been time consuming for the past couple of weeks but I am back and ready to do what eye do. This weekend, I did something awesome. I succeeded in making pulled pork which was something I had a taste for. I've seasoned this meat before but never have I cooked it. With the help of my genius crock pot, I slow cooked the pork butt for about 12 hours with the basic salt, paprika, chili powder, and brown sugar. The meat was very tender and fell right off of the bone, which was perfect.

To finish the meat off, I seasoned the pork with salt, crushed pepper flakes and cider vinegar. The perfect sauce for this pork was an apricot barbecue sauce. I reduced the pork juices until they formed a demi-glace and added apricot preserves, honey and vinegar. This was something different that I've never seen done, but compliments the pork very well.

Later on this week, I will use the pork and make barbecue spaghetti, which is something I have been dying to taste. This meal is something that is originally made at the Neely's restaurant and I would love to taste theirs. In the mean time I will try to make my own.

I am excited because I have been asked to do a major project. I will be baking and assembling a cupcake basketball cake for a family friend. I look forward to this because I LOVE CUPCAKES! I have to sketch out some ideas for that cakes as well as list supplies and find cases to transport them.

Schoolwise, I am entering a culinary competition in hopes to win a scholarship. I will be entering something similar to my blue cheese burger. Instead of a burger I will have a slider with sliced strip loin and I will add arugula. I will also enter seared lamb chops with carmelized apples on top of a bed of arugula. I am nervous about this competition but, I think my ideas are fresh and innovative so I stand a chance.

Life has me tired and stressed as usual, but thats all a part of being in college I guess. I look forward to this week even though it will be busy and I will keep my readers updated....

love, peace, and cupcakes!

1 comment:

  1. the pull pork sounds delicious with the apricot sauce /please post the recipe.post pics of the basketball commission!

    ReplyDelete